Hearings in the Supreme Court are now shown live on the Court’s website.
The Court will be hearing two cases this week, starting on Tuesday 22nd until Wednesday 23rd:
- News Corp UK & Ireland Ltd v Commissioners for His Majesty’s Revenue and Customs – This case considers whether the Court of Appeal erred in finding that News UK’s supplies of digital issues of The Times, The Sunday Times and The Sun were not supplies of “newspapers” within the meaning of the Value Added Tax Act 1994 (VATA) such that they could not be zero–rated for VAT. On appeal from  EWCA Civ 91.
- R (on the application of Maguire) v His Majesty’s Senior Coroner for Blackpool & Fylde and another – Whether the death of a disabled woman who was deprived of her liberty engaged the state’s obligation to protect life under Article 2 of the European Convention on Human Rights, therefore requiring an inquest jury to make findings regarding the circumstances by which the death occurred. On appeal from  EWCA Civ 738.
On Wednesday 23rd November, the Court will hand down judgment in the Reference by the Lord Advocate of devolution issues under paragraph 34 of Schedule 6 to the Scotland Act 1998  UKSC 31. The Court was asked to consider a number of issues relating to the proposed Scottish Independence Reference Bill, starting with whether it had the jurisdiction to decide on the reference at all.
The following Supreme Court judgments remain outstanding: (As of 23/11/22)
- The Law Debenture Trust Corporation plc v Ukraine (Represented by the Minister of Finance of Ukraine acting upon the instructions of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine) Nos. 2 and 3, heard 9-12 December 2019
- East of England Ambulance Service NHS Trust v Flowers and Ors, heard 22 June 2021
- Fearn and others v Board of Trustees of the Tate Gallery heard 7th December 2021
- Stanford International Bank Ltd (in liquidation) v HSBC Bank PLC, heard 19th January 2022
- Canada Square Operations Ltd v Potter, heard 14th June 2022
- DB Symmetry Ltd and another v Swindon Borough Council, heard 12th July 2022.
- Reference by the Attorney General for Northern Ireland – Abortion Services (Safe Access Zones) (Northern Ireland) Bill, heard 19th July 2022
- R (on the application of VIP Communications Ltd (In Liquidation)) v Secretary of State for the Home Department, heard 4th October 2022
- McCue v Glasgow City Council, heard 18th October 2022
- Unger and another (in substitution for Hasan) v Ul-Hasan (deceased) and another, heard 20th October 2022
- In the matter of an application by Rosaleen Dalton for Judicial Review (Northern Ireland), heard 26th October 2022.
- Brake and another v Chedington Court Estate Ltd, heard 1st November 2022
- Barton and others v Morris and another in place of Gwyn–Jonesheard 3rd November 2022.
- Sara & Hossein Asset Holdings Ltd (a company incorporated in the British Virgin Islands) v Blacks Outdoor Retail Ltd, heard 8th November 2022
- R (on the application of Pearce and another) v Parole Board of England and Wales, heard 9th November 2022
- News Corp UK & Ireland Ltd v Commissioners for His Majesty’s Revenue and Customs, heard 22nd November 2022
- R (on the application of Maguire) v His Majesty’s Senior Coroner for Blackpool & Fylde and another, heard 22nd November 2022.